Constellium has announced its new sustainability targets for 2020 as the company takes a next step towards unlocking the full value of conducting responsible business.
In its Business and Sustainability Performance Report 2015, Constellium evaluates its performance against the original 2012-2015 targets and announces new goals for 2020.
Constellium first established its strategic direction for sustainability in 2012 across four key priority areas: people, products, operations and responsible business. Today, the company reports progress on its performance and outlines concrete objectives raising industry standards even higher for the years to come. Constellium’s sustainability agenda for 2020 is the product of a year-long materiality assessment, led by the company’s Sustainability Council. This work allowed Constellium to evaluate alignment between the expectations of its external stakeholders and the company’s own sustainability policy.
“In the past years we have defined our sustainability vision, paving the way for our company to do business more responsibly,” said Ingrid Joerg, Chairperson of Constellium’s Sustainability Council. “Building on our successful three-year sustainability program ending in 2015, we have now set new targets for 2020. We are excited to deploy our sustainability actions jointly with our customers, suppliers and other key stakeholders in an effort to strengthen the aluminium value chain now and in the future.”
Constellium’s 2020 expected sustainability targets include:
- Reducing landfilled production waste by 10%;
- Further improving energy efficiency by 10%;
- Increasing safety at work and stay in the first industry quartile in safety results;
- Increasing employee satisfaction and strengthen communities in which Constellium operates;
- Fully rolling out our sustainable procurement policy.
Some of our significant sustainability advancements consist of the following:
- Fostered responsible use of resources with 9% increase in energy efficiency throughout our operations;
- Enhanced engagement with an average of one suggestion per employee at each site being implemented every month;
- Renewed commitment to sustainable Research &Technology;
- Defined and implemented first phase of the company’s sustainable procurement policy, including achieving the Gold level recognition by EcoVadis;
- Led industry efforts with the creation and ramp up of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative and sponsoring of key initiatives to increase recycling rate of beverage cans.